You should have a high degree of initiative taking; good organisational and administrative skills; attention to detail; an extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (including word document formatting, indexing, macros, multi-level numbering excel spreadsheets and power point presentation; a good flexible attitude, good communication and ability to work under pressure.
This position offers a great opportunity to play a significant role in a small team and to develop a broad range of skills.
You will support the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in their roles across the business including by being involved in corporate transactional work, management of litigation and arbitration across the business and negotiation and completion of supplier contracts. You will have trained at a good law firm, be willing to travel within Africa and must be prepared to be thrown in at the deep end and assist on matters as they arise.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Working in an expanding legal function, acting as counsel to commercial and procurement divisions
- Contract drafting, negotiation and review of a wide variety of contractual arrangements including in respect of acquisitions and the supply of services and products
- Assisting the procurement division with the structure of their commercial contracts
- Working alongside sales teams and other parts of the business to draft standard terms and conditions and develop recommendations to minimize potential risk to the business
- Assisting on drafting board minutes, shareholder minutes and other corporate documents
- Assisting on due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Identifying risks and opportunities in agreements and pro-actively finding ways to mitigate or remove risks
- Supporting various projects within the business and assist with wider process optimization within the group
- Providing legal support to HR, IT, and finance divisions and advising key departments on ad-hoc contractual questions
- Liaising with the legal departments of the operating companies in Africa
Skills and Experience
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent technical skills gained from private practice (and ideally in house), sound commercial acumen and a pragmatic approach to the law.
- Strong attention to detail. Accuracy is imperative.
- Excellent command of English language.
- Desire to progress issues on his/her own initiative ensuring that no surprises are met by more senior members of the legal team.
- Strong communication skills - an ability to summarise issues clearly and succinctly.
- Sound judgement paired with assertiveness where necessary - knowing when to push back internally, possessing the ability to do so and knowing when to escalate issues.
- Excellent administrative skills.
- French language skills highly desirable - role would suit bilingual candidate/candidate who has worked or qualified in French speaking country.
- Ideally a degree from Russell Group university (or overseas equivalent) and training in top 30 firm.
- Prior in-house experience (including on secondment) is preferred.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating supplier contracts (especially in the telecom or technology sector) is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years PQE.
- Confident manner when in fast-paced environment
- Flexible and adaptable in a changing environment
- A can-do attitude
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.