For BNY Mellon, a global financial services company operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets, we are currently recruiting a Legal Counsel to be based at their office in Brussels, Belgium.
BNY is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
About the role:
The Brussels Legal team supports the activities of the European bank of BNY Mellon group which is incorporated in Belgium and operates branches in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Dublin, London, Luxembourg, Milan, Paris, Madrid and Copenhagen (hereafter the "BNY European Bank"). The core business of the BNY European Bank is asset servicing (custody, depositary, fund administration) but it also offers markets products (collateral management, securities lending, FX and liquidity services) as well as treasury services.
The team provides legal advice on a wide range of financial matters: mainly asset servicing but also regulation of banking activities (including ESG and digitilisation), financial transactions, recovery and resolution, outsourcing as well as corporate restructuring.
As Legal Counsel your role is to provide legal advice and support to the BNY European Bank, in particular in relation to banking and Asset Servicing & Digital ("ASD") business. You will negotiate contracts with clients and advise the business on applicable law and regulation in relation to the ASD activities of the bank and on the implementation of new services and products.
Your tasks and responsibilities will include, amongst others:
- Follow developments and advise business and management on banking and financial law/regulation mainly in relation to asset servicing and safety (Banking Law, Law of 2 August 2002, Royal Decree n°62, Financial Collateral Law as well as MiFID II, AIFMD, UCITS V, CSDR, AML, etc.);
- Advise/support ASD business in developing and implementing services and products in line with applicable law & regulation;
- Support the development and advise on ASD activities and asset safety (custody, depositary services);
- Draft, review and/or negotiate contracts with clients (mainly custody services);
- Draft, review and/or negotiate contracts with local sub-custodians and central securities depositories;
- Support strategic business initiatives in providing effective and timely legal advice and in drafting any legal documentation.
- Belgian qualified lawyer with at least 3 years of experience in a similar role and/or at a leading law firm;
- In-depth knowledge in the field of European and Belgian banking and financial law is required;
- Strong knowledge of current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives in Europe and in Belgium; and
- Fluent in English and in French or Dutch (written & oral);
- Pro-active attitude and demonstrate a proven track record of leadership in an international environment organization;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
For more information or to apply, please contact Inge Pieters on +31 6 284 686 96 or email email@example.com quoting ref: PR/205029.
The SR Group (UK) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.