This is the perfect opportunity for an attorney with strategic IP and data licensing experience, who is looking for a flexible work environment.
Our client is a global, technology-driven professional services company who are looking for an attorney to join their international technology, intellectual property and data licensing legal team. In this role you will play a pivotal role in providing legal support for - and advising on legal risks, protections and opportunities related to - the company's global IP, technology and data strategy, value chain and revenue-growing initiatives. You will advise business leaders and their teams on the following three key areas:
- strategic global initiatives with respect to technology, intellectual property and data licensing;
- innovation strategies for technology solutions; and
- complex commercial technology transactions with technology providers.
This role will report into the head of the technology, intellectual property and data licensing practice. You will work remotely for the foreseeable future, and they are therefore happy to consider anyone located on the East Coast, but you will be expected to attend in-person team building sessions in New York once a month. The successful candidate will focus on:
- Technology Legal Rights Assessments: Assessing whether the company has proper intellectual property and data rights to license and/or provide member firms and their clients with use and/or access rights to company technology solutions. This work will also include determining whether any specific terms are required through the license chain and ensuring compliance with the legal aspects of company global quality and risk management policies.
- Commercial Technology Procurement and Alliances: Providing legal support for the (i) procurement of technology integrated with, or which forms the basis of, company technology solutions and (ii) alliance initiatives with technology providers. This work will include advising on, drafting, and negotiating various strategic intellectual property and technology agreements, with a focus on complex cross-border technology licenses and services agreements (including software license agreements, cloud services agreements (i.e., SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), software/technology development agreements, and software/technology acquisitions).
- Global Initiatives: Support strategic global initiatives with respect to technology, intellectual property and data licensing. This work may include providing legal support and advice on network arrangements for the development, licensing and sharing of technology with member firms, global priority solutions, and enterprise risk management for technology.
- Training and Education: Train and educate company professionals on legal and regulatory risks related to technology design and development and use of data in technology solutions.
The team are looking for a problem solver who will serve as a business partner. In this capacity must be highly efficient, possess strong analytical skills, and be able to learn quickly.
Experience & Knowledge
- Admission to the New York Bar (or in a state where you can easily waive into the New York Bar)
- Minimum 8 years of experience in the areas of intellectual property and technology law, with a focus on providing legal advice on designing, developing and licensing technology solutions and understanding how intellectual property-related risks influence enterprise risk.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills across a wide variety of technology and intellectual property license agreements, alliances and similar agreements for partnering with leading technology providers, and transaction structures across various jurisdictions, as well as addressing complex legal, business and technical issues.
- Advanced communication skills to enable the translation of complex legal and regulatory issues, within the context of complex technical and business issues, into easily understandable advice.
- Ability to advise on, and drive forward the implementation of, solutions to complex issues and matters with an international/cross-border dimension;
- Understands how to balance the needs, demands and requirements of a global business with legal risks and protections;
- Must be self-motivated and able to thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume legal department with many different stakeholders worldwide.
The SR Group (US), Inc. is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.